Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, July 08, 2007

"An Excellent Wife: What God's Word Says" Part 4

Sorry it's been so long, I'll get back on track with verse 25:

25) Strength and honor are her clothing; She shall rejoice in time to come.

Modern: I really struggled with this one. At first glance I take it to mean that her clothes are strong and she wears them with honor, meaning with high esteem and respect. Respectable clothing is most definitely what a lady should wear!

What about the rest of the verse: "She shall rejoice in time to come." Does this go along with her clothing? Any help?

26) She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

Modern: She is always ready to give godly advice. She wants to see her husband do well and is ready to give advice when asked. Her children obey her instruction as they trust her to know what is best for them.

I believe the last part is really destroyed when parents try to bribe their children so that when the parent instructs them to do something the children refuse to obey if no reward is in store. If a reward was offered and the parent doesn't uphold, which often happens in bribes, then the parent has lost the child's trust, and their own creditability. When a mother instructs her child to do something, the child should trust the mother knows what is best and obey her.

27) She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Modern: She is very up-to-date on what is going on in her home. Who's watching what on TV, or which child is feeling down. She doesn't have to depend on the babysitter's accounts to know what her children are experiencing.


Also, she is not lazy. She uses her time wisely (yikes!) and does what is necessary to remain on task! No soap operas!

_________________________________________________________________

Which of these verses are do you find the most difficult?
For me it is verse 26, not wait, 27......actually it's both.

26: I think sometimes I give biased advice to tailor to the advice-seekers desires rather than what God's Word says.

27: I often don't make good use of my time, okay, I ALMOST never make good use of my time. It's really a problem for me that needs serious attention!




4 comments:

Mrs. Anna T said...

Melissa,

Thanks for taking the time to complete this! I also struggle with using my time wisely.

Anonymous said...

In Verse 25...I think instead of actually referring to her clothing it's more like a play on words...like you wear a smile...or she was wearing a somber look...you wear strength and dignity. That sort of helps to explain the rest of the verse...so a woman will rejoice, no matter what lies ahead (rejoice in the time to come), weather it's good times or bad times, b/c of her strength and dignity. Proverbs 31:24 complements James 1:2 - Count it joy when you fall into trials and Phillipians 4:11 - content in any circumtance.
Hope this helps! That is a hard verse to sort out...especially since it is literally talking about clothing in the verse right before!

Great Blog - Glad I found you!

theups said...

"Strength and honor are her clothing"... You know the Word tells us to put on the buckle of truth, the helment of salvation, the breastplate of righteousness, etc, in Eph 6:10-17? I think the way those are meant is the same way Prov 31:25 is meant- figuratively. You can't literally put on strength and honor, but you CAN choose to have those be evident in your life so that others see them- just like you see someone's blouse they are wearing.

"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue." Verse 26 is the most difficult for me. I speak of myself, my ways, my wants, my OPINIONS. Oh dear. How do I cure me of myself? By getting IN THE WORD!!

His,
Mrs. U

Paula said...

What a WONDERFUL blog you have! I am so enjoying it and have added it to my reader so I can catch every post! I love this series you have done on the Proverbs 31 woman. As far as clothing, you might also liken it to Colossians 3:12. Just a thought.