Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, June 11, 2007

"An Excellent Wife: What God's Word Says."


Recently on another post of mine, Michelle commented in regards to one of my favorite books, "The Excellent Wife" by Martha Peace. With this comment, Michelle asked what my opinion was for what an excellent wife would be. Here's what I have to say:

Today while at work my mind was constantly pondering, what does an excellent wife look like? What qualities does she possess? First of all, no woman is perfect, not even close. Fortunately for us, excellent doesn't mean perfect. In fact, Dictionary.com tells us it means
possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; or remarkably good.

As a Christian, what God's Word says is most important. That's where I base my beliefs on what an excellent wife is like. In Proverbs, King Lemuel's Mother was giving him advice on what to look for him a wife. Although this was written thousands of years ago, God obviously found it of great importance to putting it in Solomon's heart to write down for us to read years later. By the way, EVERYTHING in the Bible is very important to us today.

As I studied
Proverbs 31:10-31, I decided it best for us to study it together. Hence, I have broken this down into several posts. I do not want to take any of God's words out of context. I am giving an example of how it clearly relates to us now (if you feel I have taken something out of context, please let me know!). Let's look at verse 10:

10: Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies.

Modern: The wife seeks righteousness. To her husband she is highly valued. This woman is not like the world. She is different, and she is precious, just as a ruby is valued.

11: The heart of her husband safely trusts her. So he will have no lack of gain.

Modern: Her husband can deeply trust her with his concerns. He also has confidence in her integrity, ability, and good character. Therefore, he will lack nothing when it comes to what is important.

12: She does him good and not evil, all the days of her life.

Modern: She does what helps him, and brings him up, instead of what hurts him, or his character.

ALL the days of her life.....clearly this speaks for "till death do us part". Forever!

13: She seeks wool and flax and willingly works with her hands.

Modern: She seeks out what she needs to operate her home, in those times it was wool and flax, which as changed a bit. She works hard with her hands to see that her home is well in order. I'm quite sure she doesn't worry about ruining her manicure.

14: She is like a the merchant ships, and she brings food from afar.

Modern: She spends time selecting the best foods she can to bring nourishment to her family. Also, she always has groceries in the home.
__________________________________________________________________

Here I have provided scripture (NKJV), always read for yourself, check your sources! More next time.....

1 comment:

theups said...

Melissa, I think you have done a very good job putting this into modern terms. I appreciate you sharing this!!!

His,
Mrs. U